Sunday, September 12, 2010

retro 2008/2009 bjp post - the first six months

And so it began.......

You might also like to check out the Bead Journal Project website and Robin Atkins' blog. Robin is the founder of this beading revolution. LOL! I promise that you won't be disappointed!

I didn't have a blog at the time and had limited bead embroidery experience, but I was determined! These posts were originally written on the third 2008 BJP blog. If you're interested in beading and storytelling, you should scroll through some of the BJP blogs (they're all listed at the bottom of the website). It's a great way to grab some inspiration!




My first 2008/2009 Bead Journal Project post:

I'm a fibre artist with a yen for beads. I signed up for the BJP and then discovered that I had way too many conflicting deadlines. I considered dropping out, but then decided that I owed this to myself. So, although I didn't start on my BJP until after the holidays, I'm happy to say that I'm now caught up. My original plan was to combine fibre and beads, with a heavier emphasis on the fibre. Much to my surprise, my September piece decided that it wanted to be totally encrusted. I have used some fibre in a couple of the pieces, but they still seem to want to be heavily beaded. This is my first official attempt at journaling, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the process. I don't have a blog yet, but will try to post a couple of pictures a day. I can hardly wait to hear what you think!


September, 2008 - BJP:


Summer in Toronto was wetter than normal, which led to a lush patchwork of green vegetation. This is my impression of that landscape. I used mainly backstitch, with touch of fringe and a freeform fill in stitch (I have no idea what to call it). As for the beads, Japanese seeds and bugles in various sizes. I spent the holidays with my sister in Sault Ste Marie, and was able to raid her stash. Lucky for me, she had a nice stash of "odds & sods" to complement the ones I had purchased. This was the perfect way to wind down after the holidays.




October, 2008 - BJP:


The trees had started to change colour, but the landscape was still showing an awful lot of green. Orange is not one of my favourite colours, but I'm afraid that it was necessary for this piece. Again, Japanese seeds and bugles in various colours, mixed in with various larger beads from my sister's stash. Lucky for me, she works part time in a bead store! Again, I used backstitch and a freeform fill in stitch. BTW the base is a 4 1/4" triangle on Peltex. It holds up quite well and is fairly easy to bead through.






November, 2008 - BJP:


November was just plain crazy! I participated in a quilt guild show, a fibre art show (both with boutiques), volunteered at the Shadow Box Auction at the Textile Museum of Canada (I donated a piece), was involved in a couple of online swaps, The Exquisite Corpse Round Robin and taught my first technique class at a local quilt shop. Whew! On top of that, I work full time. I felt like my head was exploding! I tried to capture that feeling in this autumn coloured piece. I wanted to include fibre, so used some of my machine wrapped braid and hand ruched some lovely orange velvet (given to me by a friend). I used the large stone bead to portray myself, sitting in the middle of all this action. So many avenues, so little time and no way to get out! Please note the metallic fringe, exploding all over the place. I'm glad it's over and I promise not to over commit in the future.







December, 2008 - BJP:


So! What does purple have to do with Christmas, you say? It's my sister's favorite colour, and I spent the holidays at her house in cold & snowy Sault Ste Marie, ON, so I thought that it would be appropriate. My original intent was to use traditional colours, but my muse was just not being cooperative. The small paper clay face was made during a play date with a couple of my friends. Of course, it needed to be used immediately! A shopping trip was in order, and the piece began. The face is encased with a little peyote stitch. I've introduced the stacked stitch, straight out of my copy of Beaded Embellishment (first time doing it, and just love the stitch!). I've included a single star for the top of the tree, but in this case, it's the side of the tree. The windy road of bugles signifies the route between the two cities (at least that's what my friend thinks). You'll notice that this piece is a lot calmer than the November one. I wonder why?







January, 2009 - BJP:


January to me is a time of fridgid temperatures, blue/grey skies, bare trees and snow, snow, snow. I was involved in a crazy quilted 4" X 4" swap on another group, and used a little larger version of this threadpainted tree. I loved the image so much, I decided to use it again. It's free motion machine embroidered on a scrap of upholstery fabric that was layered with gold Angelina Fibre. A rather wobbly, peyote stitched bezel, surrounds it. I wish I could say that I planned the wobble, but no, it's just one of those serendipity things. I think this might be my favourite, so far. Now, on to February!






February, 2009 - BJP:


Yipee! February is a time of celebration. My nephew and his wife (after many years of marriage & doctor's visits) have announced that they're having a baby. While the symbolism in this piece is not obvious, I tried to give it a party atmosphere. Included are painted teabag yo-yo's (Tetley, of course), three shells from an old necklace of my mother's (she's no longer with us, but loved babies so would want to be a part), an acrylic painted washer (for the masculine element), purple pearls (my sister's favourite colour) and a mixture of miscellaneous beads, including hearts and flowers (because I'm rooting for a girl). BTW, the teabags were used, but I did dry and empty them before painting. The picture is a little dark, due to my taking it on a dreary rainy day. I promise to post again when the sun is shining.




Although it's not quite her birthday yet, little Myka (a girl, just like her auntie predicted!) is celebrating her birthday, with family and friends, today. I know you have a few more days to go, but happy first birthday, sweetheart and happy birthday, Michelle (Myka shares a birthday with my niece/her aunt)!

I'll post the rest next weekend......


16 comments:

Karen S said...

I love these triangle things -- so beautiful Can't wait to see the rest.

kaiteM said...

If you had "limited bead embroidery experience" at the beginning, you sure learnt quickly. Your imagination really ran riot with these and your fingers must have been flying, beautiful beading AM...k.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Gorgeousness!! Can't wait for the follow up post.

Sweetpea said...

FABULOUSFABULOUSFABULOUS! I could look at these for a very long time and still keep finding something I hadn't seen before ~ what a journal you have created!!

kaiteM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks, my friendlies! It's been fun revisiting these pieces. The good news, is that I have photos of the triangles again (I lost the originals to the dreaded virus) and a permanent record on this blog! The bad news is that I still need to come up with a finishing idea! I do have one, but am still not quite convinced. That being said, I'm going to pack my guilt away and post the rest next weekend.

Judy Ferguson said...

You really are the best. I have seen a lot of beaders and yours are spectacular. You have perfected your studies.

Rachel Murphree said...

OH MY, Anne Marie. i love seeing all these beauties in one place, and my favorite is...ok, yes, I'm torn....my favorite is....well....ok, my favorite is: the lush green of sept and the stark beauty of January (and I love the tree)

I know finishing (for me) is not the fun part, but I hope you'll enjoy the finishing and I can't wait to see the result!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Judy, thanks, but what studies? I continue to fly by the seat of my pants! LOL!

Rachel,

When I post the other six I'll do a collage of all twelve so that you can see them all in one place. As for the finishing, I'm still pondering......

Anonymous said...

I love seeing them all here, and I also especially love the tree! Wonderful work!

Robbie said...

WOW! They are amazing when you get a up close and personal view!!! Great job, Anne Marie!

Penny said...

Spectacular, anne Marie! You are so creative, and having to deal with triangles too! By the way what is Peltex? Is it that stiff, white and thick pelon stuff? If it is, did you paint the white or did you cover with fabric first? My most favourite of all is November just because of the earthy colours. When I taught you I think purple was still my colour!

Robin said...

How wonderful to re-visit these gorgeous bead-stories again!!! For someone who had done no visual journaling and little beading prior to starting on these, you certainly are a quick study! You've taken it all to a new (and grander) level this year! And you're an inspiration to us all! Thanks for taking the time to put this post together! Robin A.

t said...

what amazing work here, these bead journal pieces are stunning anne-marie. I love your mix of colours and expression and story.

thanks

xt

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks again, everyone! I had fun turning back time! If only I could figure out how I want to finish them. Of course, my first instinct was to put something on the back and then just leave them out for people to play with. I think that got shot down in 2009, but guess what? I do play with them from time to time. Perhaps I should just finish the backs with a little wool felt and call it done!

Penny,

Yes,Peltex is a heavy type of interfacing that was originally used for the brims of baseball caps and it's made by Peltex. You can get it fusible one side, two sides or not at all. I started out leaving it white, but soon learned to sponge paint (natual sponge) with watered down acrylics. It needles quite well! You could also fuse a fabric to it if you didn't intend on beading quite as heavily. BTW, I didn't find the triangles all that difficult to work with....they challenged me and that's the way I like it!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Oops! Actually, Petex is made by the Pellon company.