Tuesday, March 22, 2011

tradition with a twist

Sparkly Chicken Yahoo Group - Receiver's Choice Swap updates:

The first photo is my interpretation of Jacqui's request for a Bee &/or Bee Skep block. Crazy quilted onto an 8 1/2" cotton square and then hand and machine embroidered (but mostly hand). The bees are hand embroidered with silk ribbon and little bit of black floss. The skep image was hand drawn on TAP (Transfer Artists Paper) with Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pens (permanent india ink). Then I heat transferred the image onto off-white quilter's cotton, added an extra layer of the cotton, free motion stitched and then attached to the CQ square. Would you believe that I've had the TAP for around three years and this is the first time I actually used it? I do love the effect, so you will be seeing more of this type of image transfer in the future. Jacqui wanted a yellow/gold colour scheme for her block, but I just had to sneak in a little orange!!



A little closer look at the details:



This is Cheryl's interpretation of my own botanical theme. Isn't it lovely? Despite tomorrow's threat of snow, this block gives me hope that spring will actually arrive. Raw edge applique, using a machine blanket stitch. The wording is separate.

6 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

Spring has arrived in my part of the world. Lots of flowering trees and bushes. So encouraging to see it. However, I have to keep looking for the bees. And I found them on your block. Lovely.

kaiteM said...

Anne Marie your honey and bee block is a delight, i can see the bees flying they are so buzzy, and i can taste the honey.
Your embroidery as usual is lovely, i like the way the colours blend in so it's not overpowering, it was almost a surprise when i noticed it.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks!

Judy, I certainly hope that you find the bees soon. It's much easier to stitch them at this time of the year. I am glad that spring has arrived in your area. I continue to hope.

Kaite, My honey coloured block did not seen to need any contrast, so I decided to embroider with the yellow and yellow varigated threads (DMC cotton). At times I even regretted adding the paler colours, but I realized that I needed a light background for the bees. This one was an experience, but I like it!

Blissful Banter of a Creative Crafter said...

So pretty!
Analisa

Karen S said...

I love Jacqui's block -- so you just drew on the TAP with your pens? I bought some TAP but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with it. Have you experimented at all with different drawing tools?

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Analisa & Karen, thanks!

Karen, this was my first time working with them. I haven't even tried them with a photo yet. I've only had them for 3 years, so what do you expect? Giggle! When I checked out Lesley Riley's site, it said that they could be used with all sorts of crayons, markers and pencils so I think a little more experimentation is in order. I may even purchase her book one of these days.