Friday, April 6, 2012

bjp 0212 february in april

February is all about one of my favourite colours, red! I wear it, I decorate with it, I make art with it and if I bothered to wear lipstick, I'd still be applying it to my lips. I love red shoes and bags and red climbing roses....they're all absolutely yummy!!! I've even coloured my hair red. I'm fair of complexion and still blush at the drop of a pin, so is it any wonder that I'm so enamoured with the ruddy colour? Well, I should probably despise it for that reason, but I don't!! To me it's energetic and not angry, although there is that emotion tied up in it as well. Red is not a wimpy colour!

February is doing dual duty for the BJP and the Toronto Bead Society's annual "Bag of Bead" challenge. I was too late to actually enter the challenge, but I just couldn't ignore all of the sparkly bits! The bag included red, orange, pink, gold, amethyst and black beads and some rose netting. I used at least one of everything in the bag. In the case of the netting and the black beads, not a lot, but they were still present. The black beads were so small that I couldn't fit any of my needles through them. Yes, I know that I could have purchased smaller needles, but I didn't get aroundtuit!!! So, I rolled up a strip of the netting, wrapped it with nymo thread, dipped it in Aleene's Tacky Glue and then rolled it in the black beads. When it was dry, I thought that it looked hideous, so I partially hid it behind one of the large glass flower beads. I did use more of the netting in a small stack, anchored by a few beads. It's closer to the top of the BJP, but it's intentionally hard to see.



A gold button from the family button box, vintage jewelry parts, tightly rolled chocolate wrappers and a fabulous number "2". One of my sister & brother-in-law's old TV remotes had to give it's life for this new purpose. May it R.I.P.! Thanks to Suzie for mailing a bunch of different numbers down to me from Sault Ste Marie. Don't you love family!! Your friends think you're crazy and ignore you......your family thinks you're crazy as well, but still agree to donate to the cause. Perhaps it's just to shut you up!!



A better look at the rolled 'Quality Street' candy wrappers. Did you spot the tightly rolled/netting bundle? It's tucked behind the two large flowers and further disguised when I stitched it on with purple beads. Bwahaahaaa......



The large silver button is actually made of glass! It's one of the vintage ones I purchased in the 80's or 90's. Isn't it spectacular? I do so wish that I had kept the sales slips!

Couching, peyote, back, stacked, fringe and bocce/boucle stitches.




The piece in all it's rosie glory! It's a bit brazen, but I like it just the same....

Now, do you suppose the remote will channel the ghosts of Mork from Ork or Alf on my TV? They were amusing at the time, but I'm soooo past that now!! What do you think?

7 comments:

Linda Kittmer said...

Love it! And your post is so funny. :o)

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks Linda! First I didn't really know what to say, but then the piece started getting a personality, so I needed to yuk it up!!

kaiteM said...

She's a hussy alright and i love the tight rolled wrappers, they give it the length to walk tall.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Kaite, My intent was to save the cellophane wrappers and throw out the foil ones, but I never quite got around to it. I'm glad that I didn't! They were easy to work with and just the thing to decorate a house with a past.

Penny Berens said...

Hey, I think I have some of those silver/glass buttons in my box! Love this piece AM.

Judy Ferguson said...

I think that I am channeling MONK these days. You know, the OCD detective. Very funny post. Of course I would never try to cover up mistakes. ;) Love the beadwork. I don't know about the red hair thing.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Penny, thanks! I do so love these buttons and it's about time they had some useful purpose. They were getting tired of just being fondled every 6 months or so.

Judy, I'd never channel MONK! That type of OCD would not fit my very messy profile!! The black/bead netting thing was not really a mistake. I just didn't think that the results fit in with the rest of the piece. So, I disguised it, a lot!! LOL!